DRIVING SUSTAINABLE
CHANGE TOGETHER

Products of change. News

Apple will be carbon neutral by 2030

Mon 21 Sep 2020 | 01:44 pm GMT
Michelle Urquhart | Products of Change Writer

Apple commits to reneawable resources

Commitment means every Apple device sold will have net zero climate impact by 2030 The global tech giant is already carbon neutral for corporate emissions worldwide, but the company plans to bring its entire carbon footprint to net zero 20 years sooner than IPCC targets. In its 2020 Environmental Progress Report Apple details its plans to reduce emissions by 75 percent by 2030 while developing innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 percent of its comprehensive footprint. “Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.” Apple’s 10-year roadmap will lower emissions with a series of innovative actions, including:
  • Apple’s latest recycling innovation — a robot the company is calling “Dave” — disassembles the Taptic Engine from iPhone to better recover key materials such as rare earth magnets and tungsten while also enabling recovery of steel
  • Apple now has commitments from over 70 suppliers to use 100 percent renewable energy for Apple production — equivalent to nearly 8 gigawatts in commitments to power the manufacturing of its products.
  • Apple is supporting the development of the first-ever direct carbon-free aluminium smelting process through investments and collaboration with two of its aluminium suppliers.
related articles
Amscan appoints new Group Sustainability Manager

Raluca Runcianu’s new role will cover packaging, manufacturing bases, supply chains and compliance.

Read More

Thu 20 May 2021 | 07:55 am GMT

NETWORKING
My journey to sustainability

Products of Change ambassador for carbon footprint, June Kirkwood talks about her learnings last year and why she’s on board with Products of Change

Read More

Tue 19 Jan 2021 | 09:31 am GMT

NETWORKING
60 seconds with… June Kirkwood

“The coronavirus pandemic has prompted many people to question existing business models, with sustainability now firmly on the agenda.”

Read More

Thu 10 Dec 2020 | 03:08 pm GMT

NETWORKING
Big Interview: Natural History Museum

Reducing the need for physical pre-production samples and instead looking to digital innovations is one way the Natural History Museum is becoming more sustainable.

Read More

Tue 11 May 2021 | 09:09 am GMT

NETWORKING
Most read stories
Mattel launches new toy takeback programme

Mattel Playback is a new programme to recover and reuse materials from old Mattel toys for future products from the company.

Read More

Wed 12 May 2021 | 09:23 pm GMT

TOYS
A vacuum cleaner built to last

Former Dyson engineer has created the Lupe Pure Cordless, a vacuum cleaner made from recycled plastic and each individual part is removable, replaceable and recyclable.

Read More

Fri 05 Mar 2021 | 11:10 am GMT

HOUSEWARES
BMW uses aluminium from solar energy

The BMW Group will begin sourcing aluminium produced using solar electricity from the Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park in the desert outside of Dubai.

Read More

Tue 09 Feb 2021 | 03:24 pm GMT

NET ZERO
Find out more about sustainability in Beijing

Products of Change members can join a Zoom meeting on Wednesday 3 March to find out more about Open Beijing; a new project to introduce the advantages of doing sustainable…

Read More

Tue 02 Mar 2021 | 09:40 am GMT

NETWORKING
Environment is top concern among teens in Europe

Latest data from the Insights Family shows that aside from coronavirus, the environment is one of the top concerns among teens in UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Read More

Wed 23 Jun 2021 | 08:28 am GMT

RESEARCH
eBay launches certified refurbished hub

Latest lockdown trend from eBay UK reveals one refurbished item selling every 14 seconds on the online marketplace in the last year.

Read More

Tue 09 Mar 2021 | 11:41 am GMT

RETAIL
Register for the net zero meeting

Here are the upcoming meetings for Products of Change. All members are welcome to join in these meetings.

Read More

Tue 16 Feb 2021 | 08:35 am GMT

EDUCATION
Toy recycling and reusing must be more accessible

Gary Pope, co-founder at marketing agency Kids Industries, one of the sponsors for the Sustainability in Licensing Conference (SILC) on 24-25 June talks about toy sustainability.

Read More

Tue 01 Jun 2021 | 07:06 am GMT

TOYS